Wednesday 22 February 2012

Guess who's coming to dinner...Mexican tortilla soup



I am currently loving one-pot meals that include protien, veggies, and lots of flavour in each bite.
I was craving a bit of spice, and this Mexican tortilla soup fit the bill with its rich, smokey heat.

My photo didn't turn out very well (I am always taking my photos in low light once the kiddies are sleeping...thanks Shannon for your tips on how to deal with this!!) but it really is a beautiful, colourful soup when topped with cheddar, cilantro, chips, and avacado.

One note on the chips - At the grocery store today I compared multigrain Tostitos with regular Tostitos. It turns out that the multigrain chips have a lot of sugar in them to compensate for the mutigrain flavour...so I opted for the low-sodium regular chips. Doesn't it frustrate you when so-called heathier choices turn out not to be so (fruit yogurt is another example of this.....FULL of refined sugar!)!?

The original recipe for the soup is available here; as usual I made a few adjustments:

- I added minced green pepper, chick peas, and corn kernels for some extra nutrition
- I used chipotle peppers instead of anaheim pepper
- I excluded the salt and pepper
- I excluded the dried chipotle pepper and hot sauce (it was plenty hot without these additions!!!)

Even with these changes I found the soup very, very spicy. Add the peppers bit by bit to taste if you don't have an iron stomach!

No comments:

Post a Comment