Wednesday 1 February 2012

Nuts and seeds





Today I tried a recipe for home made granola bars that I found in House and Home magazine this month (February 2012, page 88). The reciple comes from the Chateau Lake Louise deli. These bars are easy to make and hearty in the belly. The hardest part is finding all the ingredients at your local bulk store*!

3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tbsp fancy molasses
3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup chopped cashews
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup raisins (I used dried cranberries instead)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup milk powder

Preheat over to 375F. Mix oil, honey, and molasses together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour liquid over dry ingredients and mix thorougly.

Press mixture into a shallow, rimmed baking sheet oiled, or lined with parchment paper

Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool; cut into squares and wrap in plastic wrap (if you can stop yourself from eating them right away!)

* I went to Strictly Bulk near Danforth and Pape, but I have also heard fantastic things about Better Bulk near Woodbine. Since I was buying small quantities I didn't pay too much attention to price. However, from my Christmas baking this year I know that Bulk Barn has very high prices, particularly on nuts. Watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment