Wednesday 22 August 2012

Bye bye, old deck...we won't miss you!


Oh, I was indeed tickled pink when I came home around noon to two big burly men destroying the old railing on my front deck!

Progress has been made. All the original railings have been removed. The two existing posts were kept since they are sturdy, but are being clad in extra wood to give them a more 'oomphy' appearance (the carpenter *seemed* to know what I meant by this). The guys also added the second post at the bottom of the stairs, as we're adding a second railing.

Tomorrow the new railing will go up.

I am still humming and hawwing on paint colours. I am pretty settled on (all Benjamin Moore) Dolphin for the deck and wood trim, and am now leaning towards Thunder for the spindles and window panes.

The door is giving me trouble. I really want to do a fun puchy colour, but just can't find the right one...the fact that the rest of the house is brick is confusing me - is brick a neutral or do I need to match the door to it? Should I do a light or dark coloured door, considering my choice of deck colours? Would I tire of an olivey green? Would it make my house look too Christmasy with the red brick? ...should I play it safe and go for a glossy black?

....first world problems, I know.



5 comments:

  1. I like the wrought iron or province blue...although black could look great with the gray deck (wrought iron might be too close in colour to Dolphin?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE olive moss for the door, especially against dolphin!! (but i would lean that way since i have a red door on a green house - and no, don't worry about the christmas-y-ness) i would also be weary of wrought iron being too close to dolphin.
    just a thought...have you considered painting the deck & wood trim AND the spindles & window panes all the same color? as i've noticed in my semi-filled neighborhood, if you use only one exterior color (aside from the door), it makes the house look much bigger/wider. with a pop of color on the door, it would look gorgeous.
    the colors you've chosen are beautiful - it's going to look great, no matter what you go with. can't wait to see the finished product...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember our front door was a big debate when we were deciding what to do. I ended up going with black as I loved the classic look, and it allowed me to do whatever I wanted in the planters on the porch without competing against the door colour. We also have red brick and I found it really, really hard to find a colour to compliment it. What about painting the door the same colour as the window panes? That way it all connects? I don't think I've helped, but just some thoughts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a hard choice! The lighter color Thunder shade would give your deck a little touch of brightness, but I would go with the Dolphin shade. The darker tint would complement any door color you would choose. But I’m pretty excited to see the end-results. I’m sure it would look great!

    -Becky Steele

    ReplyDelete
  5. So which colors did you end up with? If I were to choose, I’d probably go with Wrought Iron, just to match the color with the deck and the window panes. But if you want it to really stand out, Province blue seems like a good choice.

    Leeanne

    ReplyDelete