Saturday 17 March 2012

Beads beautiful


This morning we went to Granville Island in Vancouver, which is a wonderful place for children. We fed ducks, saw doughnuts being made (of course we had to try one!), and bought beads to make a necklace at the bead store. Beading was one of my childhood passions, so it was fun to introduce my daugther to this creative craft.

Since my daughter is only 2, she doesn't appreciate exquisite beads just yet....and anyone who has been to a bead store knows that costs can quickly add up! So I let her pick three beads at the bead store (the centre ones on the necklace in the photos) and we filled the rest of the necklace with plastic beads from home after my daughter's nap this afternoon. We strung the beads on regular household twine, but I rolled masking tape over the ends to make it stiff to compensate for a toddler's dexterity. The masking tape, combined with big-holed beads - allowed her to string all the beads without needing help. I knotted the beads onto the string here and there so they won't fall off by mistake.

What did you do this afternoon?






No comments:

Post a Comment