Wednesday 14 March 2012

Get to know Mark


My Mom recently bought Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. I have been perusing it during my visit, and it really is a classic. Much like the Joy of Cooking, it covers almost all elements of cooking, from the basic (e.g. how to choose a lobster) to the involved (how to make your own sausage). But it is more current than Joy of Cooking, including recipes from around the world.

During our ski trip to Whistler last week we enjoyed many wonderful meals (each couple was assigned to cook one night). One that stood out was the butternut squash curry with brown rice that our friends Renny and Clem made, and it was from this cookbook! This book has apparently been a staple in Renny's kitchen for years, and he claims that everything he's made has been A-1. ...I might just have to pick myself up a copy! In addition to hard copy, there is also an E-version, as well as an "App".

UPDATE: From an email that I received from my cousin Jennine, who lives in Bellingham Washington: 

I love my Mark Bittman book!  I have the e-version and find it even more useful - for one thing you can search in a number of ways, and for another, I'll have it in the car with me if I decide last minute to get something for dinner.  I also hv the How to Cook Everything Vegetarian - it's particularly handy in the e-version.

Sent from my iPad



No comments:

Post a Comment