Sunday 29 January 2012

Bathroom reno

When we visited our home during the Open House, we were struck by the bathroom off the kitchen on the main floor. Although many similar homes lacked a mainfloor bathroom, ours was a bit strange in that it had a shower instead of a typical 2 piece powder room. In the end, this has turned out to be wildly convenient with young kids, since in the morning my husband and I can trade off showering and child watching responsibilities while the kids eat breakfast.

However, gI never liked the design of the bathroom. The walls were an unforgiving shiny bright crimsion red, while the floor was a shiny black marble that looked dirty even after being washed. The shower tiles were a livable white, but were poorly installed and were starting to feel 'soft'.

I will post some 'before' pictures later, but for the time being here are a few 'after' shots. My husband did the majority of the work himself, and I think he did a great job. It feels so fresh and clean!


Art and towel rack (I searched all over the city for towels and in the end found them at the Bay)


Shelf beside the sink (since we have a pedastal sink and don't have a counter for a soap dispenser)

"Feature wall' tiles up close..they are called "Ming Green"
Shower stall with glass door (the one element we hired professionals for).

This is the medicine cabinet ....it is clearly still in need of a re-do.


2 comments:

  1. Where did you get that great painting over the towel rack???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the question!

      The art is actually a simple DIY, topped off with an Ikea RIBBA frame. I bought some pre-gessoed canvas (essentially pre-primed) paper, and then just started 'doodling' with my paint brush.

      The base colour was the paint that we used on the walls, and then I just kept adding additional colours to this base for contrast. Easy-peasy and super cheap! I am going to try my hand at another one for the other wall soon, this time with a rectangle/line theme instead of circles. I'll let you know how it turns out!

      Delete