Saturday 28 January 2012

Goodwill for babies



While pregnant with my first born, I dutifully visited trendy baby stores around the city, purchasing all the things I *needed* for the baby. Well needless to say, I quickly realized that A) the things I thought I needed didn't stop the baby from crying or from being up all night and B) that buying baby stuff new was just plain silly.

This being said, baby #2 has been living under the 'buy as much used stuff as possible' mantra.

So while I was doing one of my regular drop-offs at Goodwill* the other day, I saw this amazing baby entertainment centre for $6.06 and quickly scooped it up. It is originally from Ikea, in excellent condition, and is quite modern looking with the bentwood frame and brightly painted dangling parts. So far it's a hit with the babe!

* Two notes on the Goodwill:
1) I have visited many Goodwills across the city, and the best one I have found is the one on Overlea Blvd across from the East York Town Centre. ...however it seems that the secret is out. The last time few times I've visited, there were folks that were obviously collectors loitering at the door where new items are brought out. Do you have a favourite locaiton?
2) I purge like crazy....it seems like every week I have boxes of treasures to donate. Most of my stuff goes to the Goodwill, but if I have new or very gently used items for women or babies, I donate to Nellie's which is a women's shelter in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment