Saturday 28 January 2012

Dare to share



When I was about 9 weeks pregnant with my first child, I confided my news to a friend. After congratulating me, her first question was what daycares I was on the waitlist for.

My first response was that she was insane, given that I was barely pregnant.

My next response was to call all the daycares in my area and get on waitlists (turns out I was the insane one!).

But as I thought more about it, I realized that daycare wasn't going to work for us once I was back at work. My work hours were long and unpredictable, while my husband's work is outside the city and he is constantly held hostage by traffic.

So we started thinking about getting a nanny. But when we looked at the economics, it was going to be almost double the cost of putting our daughter in daycare....so then we thought about a nanny share, which turned out to be the perfect solution for us.

We share our nanny with another family, which has worked brilliantly. Our daughter now has a "BFF" and the cost is comparable with daycare.

If you are considering a nanny share, please get in touch, as we have thought through and been through all of the issues that arise from taxes and T4s to how to deal with family vacations, sick kids, food, and cost splitting.

Isn't it funny how child care is something almost every parent has to figure out, yet it feels like we're all figuring it out for the first time?

No comments:

Post a Comment