Friday 3 February 2012

Guess who's coming to dinner? ....Mmmmulligatawny




  

If you've been following along, you probably know that I'm currently into comfort food. ...but I'm trying to ix-nay the mac and cheese variety and ocus-fay on healthier dishes.

I was immiediately drawn to a recipe I found for root vegetable mulligatawny, an Indian curried soup with creamy coconut milk in the broth. It is flavourful, hearty, and colourful. My mom, who spent her university summers waitressing at the Chateau Lake Louise restaurant*, said that this was one of the mainstays on their menu.

I adjusted the recipe below in the following ways:
- I doubled it. To get enough variety of root vegetables, you end up with about 12 cups which is twice as much as the single recipe (I used turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoe, rootebega, and celery root)
- I just used curry powder that I had lying around at home, instead of the plethora of spices listed in the recipe
- I added green beans for extra colour, crunch and flavour (add them at the very end so they don't get to soft).

I wanted to serve the soup with naan, but my local grocer didn't have any. Instead, I stopped by Danforth Dragon, a great Haaka restaurant around the corner from us, and picked up some roti. It was divine.

Here is the link to the recipe.

* Did you know that at the end of the summer all the waitresses used to throw their waitressing shoes in the lake? ...maybe that's where the Lake gets its turquoise colour!

No comments:

Post a Comment