Monday 6 February 2012

Steel cut oats...from the experts

You may recall my previous posting hailing the joy of steel cut oats (it can be viewed here).

Well I just received a newsletter from the naturopath I occassionally visit (typically during pregnancy) which included more information about and recipes for these little beads of beauty. I have included the information below.

If you are interested in my naturopath, Dr. Du La, her website is here. The interesting this about Dr. Du La, is that she is a doula...yes, Du La is a doula.

I visited her during both my pregnancies, and she offered me a lot of natural remedies for my horrific morning sickness, and help me to plan for the birth that I invisioned. I was referred to her by a colleague who has had Dr. La at both of her deliveries and swears by her. There is something very zen and calming about her presence.

Here is her take on steel cut oats!

Nutty Steel Cut Oats

Steel cut oats are a delicious, nuttier and crunchier alternative to rolled oats or quick cooking oats. They are also higher in fiber, nutrients and protein per serving due to less processing. They also have a lower glycemic index than rolled oats or quick oats. Although the cooking time is longer, it is worth the extra effort. I put in on the stove upon waking and by the time everyone is up, breakfast is ready for everyone to enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 cup steel cut oats
2 cups of water
2 cups of almond milk/hemp milk/rice milk
Any combination of: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, almonds
Any combination of peeled and sliced fresh fruit (such as apples, pears, peaches) or dried fruit (such as raisins,
dried cranberries, dried apricots, dried dates)
Sprinkle of cinnamon

Directions:
1. Bring 2 cups of water to boil.
2. Add steel cut oats, nuts, seeds, fresh or dried fruits.
3. Bring to boil again. Reduce heat to a simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in 2 cups of almond milk/hemp milk/rice milk during cooking.
5. When finished, set aside to cool and stir in a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Alternatively:
1. Roast the steel cut oats in the oven or on a pan with coconut oil before cooking. This will bring out a nuttier flavour.
2. Soak the oats the night before to reduce cooking time. Just put them in a pot with 3 cups of boiled water. Cover and set aside. The next morning, bring this to boil and follow the instructions.
3. Cook in a rice cooker or pressure cooker. Reduce water amount to 1 cup instead of 2 cups. Add all the ingredients at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment