Wednesday 1 February 2012

Guess who's coming to dinner?..Mexican lettuce wraps








I had a bag of frozen chicken thighs and some ripe avacadoes, so I decided that we would go Mexican tonight. Typically I would make fajitas, but since we are trying to curb our consumption of processed carbs, we had Mexican lettuce wraps instead, using ice berg lettuce in place of tortillas.

The wraps were delicious. Without the tortillas, the other flavours really come alive, and the solid piece of lettuce added a refreshing crunch!

What I need in the future to really make this healthy is a home recipe to replace those fajita seasoning envelopes I always default to. I am sure they are full of sodium and sugar. I found this recipe online; I plan to make a big batch (without the salt and sugar) that I can use for a while.
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon crushed chicken bouillon cube
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin

No comments:

Post a Comment