Thursday 2 February 2012

What's for breakfast?



Growing up, my Mom made my Dad porridge for breakfast almost every morning. Now it is one of my favourite ways to start the day as well. The problem is it takes 10-20 minutes to cook and requires a lot of attentive stirring...which is tough with 2 young kids chewing on my heels.

Last week I tried a slower cooker recipe which cooks overnight. It was great if you like eating glue for breakfast, which I haven't since I was 8 years old.

So my new approach is to make a big batch at the beginning of the week, refrigerate it, and then just pull some out in the morning, add a bit of water to reconstitute it, and throw it in the microwave. I'm sure that real chefs would take issue with this approach, but it produces perfect oatmeal.

My Dad eats traditional oatmeal (think Quaker), but I have become partial to steel cut oats. They have a nice al dente chewiness to them. I add some ground flax seeds for some extra nutrition, and top it off with some milk, and whatever else I have on hand (berries, bananas, nuts, maple syrup, and dried fruit are all delicious).

How do you start your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment